Construction Journal Entry Week of 8/22/21

8/23-27/21 I went up to Camp Serendipity for five days: Monday through Friday.

I arrived at 11:45 with lots of stuff. After making one trip to the cabin, I returned with the wheelbarrow and wheeled the rest of it up in one more trip.

I hoisted the flag, and then had my lunch and a nap. When I got up, I practiced the piano and then did some fun work on a math model.

On Tuesday it was 34 degrees outside when I got up. The temperature in the cabin was 60 degrees so I burned some old cardboard just to take the chill off. I practiced the piano, listened to the radio, and then did a geography experiment and a topology experiment using the model I had made the day before.

After lunch I tried to nap but couldn't sleep. I got back up and did some more work on my topology experiment. Then I went outside and checked the trees. I brought 6 gallons of water to Andrew, and then wheeled two wheelbarrow loads of firewood down from the bluff and stacked it at the cabin. Then back inside the cabin I installed the finished toe board under the kitchen cabinets. I took a picture before and after.

On Wednesday the temperature outside was 36 degrees. I practiced the piano and then took the wheelbarrow back up to the bluff and loaded it with a bunch of firewood. As I was wheeling it out I lost my footing and took a serious fall face first into the load of wood which stayed in the wheelbarrow.

It took a while to find my glasses, and regain my composure enough to try to stand up, but when I did I was happy that no bones were broken and I felt OK. I did not lose consciousness.

I was bleeding from the face however, so I walked down to the cabin and had a look in the mirror. It wasn't bleeding too badly so I didn't treat it with anything. I thought about calling the aid car but I felt like I could drive OK so I grabbed my wallet and my cell phone and drove myself to the fire station. They treated me and advised that I go get checked out at the Cascade Medical Center in Leavenworth because I am on a blood thinner and I took a fairly severe blow to the head.

After discussing a couple options for getting there, I chose to let them take me in their ambulance. That was a good decision. They monitored my vitals all the way and they knew where they were going. After being treated in the clinic, I called a cab and got a ride back to the fire station and my truck.

I got back to the cabin at 3:30 and had a late lunch. I didn't do much other than relax for the rest of the day.

On Thursday morning, I felt fine and experienced no sign of a headache throughout the night. That was good news. Ellen called first thing to check on me, and shortly after we hung up, Dave called and I told him about the incident. Then I practiced the piano before going outside to inspect the scene of the accident. I took a picture of me reenacting the experience. Then I finished the job I started by wheeling the load of firewood down to the cabin and stacking it.

After having my lunch and a nap I spent the rest of the afternoon writing.

On Friday I practiced the piano and then spent a considerable amount of time reviewing the wiring diagrams for the cabin. I need to make several changes and corrections so I will do that at home later. I left for home at 12:45 having had a new experience I hope I don't repeat.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2021 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.