Construction Journal Entry Week of 9/19/21

9/20-24/21 I went up to Camp Serendipity for five days: Monday through Friday.

On the way I noticed a sign that said campfires are OK at all campgrounds. I figured it might be OK to use a chainsaw in the woods, so I stopped at the fire station and found out that it was. I arrived at 11:00 o'clock and brought all my bedding up to the cabin. It had been laundered. Then I hoisted the flag, brought the wheelbarrow down to the truck, and used it to haul up the rest of my gear. I started a fire in the stove to take the chill off the cabin.

After lunch and a nap, I practiced the piano and then got the chainsaw out and filed the chain. I gassed and oiled the saw, but I had trouble with the cap on the oil port. I thought it was closed but it wasn't. So, when I started the saw all of the bar oil dumped out and ran down my leg and onto my boot. I guess I'll learn how to close that cap.

I made a couple of sawhorses by driving 20 penny nails into a woodblock and a short sawhorse and used them to cut a bunch of branch wood into firewood lengths.

On Tuesday morning I built another fire in the stove, practiced the piano, and went back outside and finished cutting up all of the longer pieces of branch wood at the cabin. Then I used the chainsaw to cut deep kerfs in a big butt round up by the privy. Then I went up on the bluff and bucked up a pine log that I had previously winched out. I hauled one load of firewood back down to the cabin. Then after lunch and a nap, I practiced the piano.

On Wednesday I built another fire, practiced the piano, and then went out and used a wedge and a big hammer to split the big butt round. Then I stacked the wood in the woodshed. Next, I took the chainsaw up to the bluff and cut up a bunch of longer pieces of wood to firewood lengths. Then I used the wheelbarrow to haul wood down from the bluff and store it in the woodshed. I think I have enough firewood at the cabin so from now on I'll store it all in the woodshed.

Robert called and told me he may come to visit on Friday. After lunch and a nap, I practiced the piano, and then called Earl. He caught me up on his activities with his flight simulator. When we hung up, I went outside and established a survey point on the corner of the privy. Then I plotted the point on my map.

On Thursday I practiced the piano, and then went out and did some more surveying. I established four more survey points and plotted two of them on my map. After lunch and a nap, I practiced the piano again and spent the rest of the afternoon writing.

On Friday morning I practiced the piano, and then stacked all the wood I had cut up at the cabin. Robert showed up and we visited inside the cabin for about an hour. I left for home at 12:30 after another fun week.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2021 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.